By Patina Rankine
Health and Fitness has taken a 360 approach and has become the new “in thing”. One would call it a renewed phenomenon which stems from iOS, Android and Blackberry applications to Myofascial release roller (the VibraRoll). Technology now makes exercising more fun all while allowing the user to track their progress with a single touch.
We also cannot deny the fact that we have to continually fight the obesity crisis which threatens the well-being of the world’s population. Health and Fitness innovations have led to countless lifestyle changes which in fact are able to keep users healthier.
The release of iOS, Android and Blackberry applications have given rise to an ever expanding digital age allowing for easy access to the worldwide web plus apps to help users live healthier lives. Digital trends are now only a fingertip away, with many apps offering sensors which aid in your mission to a more effective workout . Whether you want to track your calorie intake, eat healthier, schedule rest time and/or make exercise fun there are many applications available.
- Runkeeper, which make use of your phone’s GPS transceiver allows you to map your routes and track your workouts. The app can then provide detailed information about your speed and distance along the way.
- Runtastic is considered an exercise tracker that not only tracks distance, speed but also calories burned and your heart rate. It also comes with a few additional features such as 3D mapping and provides coloured traces that make it super innovative.
- Endomondo Sports tracker offers you the complete information on your distance, speed and other features; it acts as a virtual trainer to give you a bit of extra motivation. This enables you to run against your own virtual ghost and get live pep talks from your friends.
- LoseIt! takes a holistic approach to wellness with its weight, diet, and fitness tracker. Once you set your weight goals and personal daily calorie budgets, the application lets you track your calorie intake and burn, while also tracking your sleep and exercise, macronutrient intake and body measurements. You can even track your progress graphically. The social media features allow you to access support from friends and fellow LoseIt! users.
- You are what you eat! Fooducate aims to help people better evaluate food labels and retain the key information without all the other noise. The Fooducate application allows users to scan barcodes to emphasize the product's good and bad attributes and compare it to similar products, and possibly pick a healthier alternative.
Athletic companies such as Nike have made great strides in making athletes’ dreams a reality. Nike, the world’s largest sporting-goods maker introduced the FuelBand last year. The FuelBand is a consumer wristband that tracks the user’s footsteps and calorie consumption. In addition, Nike introduced a line of sensor-embedded training shoes to help runners brag on social media. Not to mention the crème de la crème which debuted at the Olympics, the FlyKnit, a shoe made from a single, lightweight knit upper that provides sock-like comfort and feather-like weight. This unparalleled innovation has been four years in the making; it is unlike anything else on the market.
With all these advancements in technology there are many options to help you on the road to fitness. That said we’ve come a far way! Innovation=Progress